Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Banana Snack Cake (Low-Fat!)

My fingers are sticky. They are sort of sticking to the keyboard as I type. All because of this annoyingly addictive banana snack cake. I love bananas. I love them covered in chocolate, spread with peanut butter, baked into breads and muffins, and churned into soft-serve ice cream. Oh, I also like them plain too.


This "cake" is wonderful. It is moist and caky, like a cake. Wait! Please don't roll your eyes at me like that. I am just a little bit slow on the adjective train today. So just trust me. It is caky like a cake. Also, it is not too sweet. Pretty much the perfect amount of sweetness. I might even add a little more sweetness with a frosting or glaze just because I like sweet. Plus I need the extra sugar (har har). Finally, this is one heckova healthy cake. So eat up.

Banana Snack Cake (ever so slightly adapted from this link)

Ingredients
1.5 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain low-fat or nonfat yogurt
3/4 cup mashed ripe banana
1/4 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
butter or cooking spray for greasing the pan

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9 inch cake pan. Combine all the dry ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl and whisk thoroughly. In a smaller bowl, mix together the yogurt, banana, applesauce, vanilla extract, and egg. Stir this yogurt mixture into the flour mixture just until combined and moist. Pour this batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes then flip out and let cool completely on a wire rack. Enjoy!

Mix your dry ingredients...

Mix your wet ingredients...

Pour it into the pan. It might be slightly spongy, but put it in the oven and...

Viola!

No comments:

Post a Comment