Saturday, June 11, 2011

Banana Crumb Muffins (Low-Fat)

Hello everybody! As my first blog post, I wish I could tell you that I have created some kind of genius creation; something visually stunning. A knockout masterpiece. Chocolate mousse perhaps? Also, please don't bother telling me that chocolate mousse isn't really "a genius creation." I live in Minnesota. Here, hot dishes and Dairy Queen ice cream cake are considered fine delicacies. Anywho, genius creations weren't really an option this morning. No particular reason why, I was just feeling a wee bit lazy.

And I was craving bananas.

And try as I might, I just could not get my bananas to knock me out with their beauty. Maybe it was because
they were so brown and bruised or maybe it was because they were just bananas. But bruised bananas and
muffins?

They make a lovely couple.

Banana Crumb Muffins (adapted ever so slightly from this link: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/banana-crumb-muffins/Detail.aspx)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed and ripe
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup applesauce (here you can also use melted butter, but applesauce turned out just fine!)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon butter

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 and lightly grease 10 muffins cups or line them with muffin papers.
2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and applesauce. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
3. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins generously.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of a muffins comes out clean. 

These are ah-mayzing. I am drowning in muffins. They are up to my thighs. Or rather, in them. 







Also, sorry about this awkward bunch of pictures. I am not exactly the most technically savvy, so please bear with me as I learn to do this!

Note: I added chocolate chips to my muffins and it was pure heaven. Please do this too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment